I'm a new mom over here and up throughout the night... but to be honest, it's not as bad as I imagined it would be... or maybe I'm just already used to walking around during the day in a zombie-like state that I don't even realize it!?
There's one guilty secret that helps keep me awake at 1 or 3 a.m. while I nurse... scrolling Pinterest. I never had time for it before! Now, I just keep pinning desserts and workouts at wee hours of the morning like a crazy person... but I've actually found myself getting a new wave of creativity and motivation both in the kitchen and the gym (which has now become my living room in the early morning for these 20-30 minute HIIT workouts).
It was in the middle of the night that I discovered the idea of a flourless chocolate muffin that literally tastes like a cupcake! I made my version of it the very next day, and by golly, these taste like cake. BUT NO ADDED SUGAR. Seriously, you won't believe it! They also have no added grains, butter or dairy!
I make these plain and snack on them or enjoy one for dessert. But I also imagine some sort of icing on top and they are fit for a party! Or loaded with chocolate chips.
Flourless Chocolate Cupcake Muffins
(makes about 8-10 regular muffins)
- 2 large, very ripe bananas
- 6 large, pitted dates soaked in hot water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup natural almond butter or cashew butter
- 1/4 cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Soften dates by placing in a bowl of very hot water for up to 10 minutes then drain.
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend at a high speed until smooth batter forms. (I blend the first 4 ingredients until smooth and then add the remaining ingredients.)
- Line muffin tins with liner and spray with nonstick spray. Or don't use liners and spray tins with nonstick spray. Fill your cupcake liners with an ice cream scoop.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 – 18 minutes until tops are firm.
- Let cool on a wire rack then store in an airtight container for three days.