whole wheat banana bread with coconut
I’m smitten for banana bread with coconut.
It is a cool twist on a classic.
Going to visit family or friends? I wrap up a loaf of this bread with plastic wrap, tie it with a ribbon, and take it with me.
This recipe will make a loaf. But, there will be left-over batter…so I pour the rest in little muffin tins. Or you can make a whole bunch of muffins with the entire batter.
Everything is cuter when it is miniature
I saw this recipe in Health Magazine as a way to use greek yogurt. It is from Gail Simons, a judge on Top Chef Just Desserts.
Gail had me at the "coconut" listed in the ingredient list. I quickly ripped out the page from the magazine. You see, I’ve jumped on the coconut band-wagon and I am trying to pull others in.
Yup, that includes you.
Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Coconut
(adapted from Health Magazine)
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat pasty flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup walnut halves, toasted and chopped
-Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together first 4 ingredients. set aside. Toast walnuts in the oven for a few minutes and chop them.
- In another large bowl, beat sugar and eggs until thick. Stir in oil, bananas, yogurt and vanilla. Fold in flour mix, coconut and walnuts.
- Pour into greased 9-by 5-inch pan. Pour any left over batter into mini muffin tins. Bake for about 1 hour but keep checking an it may extend to up to 75 minutes, depending on the size of the loaf pan. Make sure a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on rack and serve.
- Or make them all mini muffins. Spray muffin tins and place liners in the tins or just pour the batter without liners. Mini muffins will only bake for about 10 minutes.
happy tuesday :)