Sometimes I love to use healthy ingredients in my baking. Just another reason to have more than one of course. And always remember that using good-quality ingredients will yield good-quality results.
This recipe is inspired by one of my favorite cookie recipes, Peanut Butter Banana Cookies that I posted last year. That recipe, along with my Oat Bran Banana Muffins and Banana Bread….Well, you get the picture.
Using mashed bananas help give the cookies a very soft texture. So take a break from that crispy flat oatmeal cookie and give these a try. The cinnamon and nutmeg creates that old-fashioned oatmeal cookie taste.
Here, I didn’t have butter on hand so I used ½ cup of applesauce. Which is a healthy alternative to butter. But you can use either. I also used whole-wheat flour but again you can use either wheat or all-purpose flour.
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup butter softened (or unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bananas, mashed (1-2 bananas)
- 1 ¾ cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts chopped (optional)
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour,sugar,salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Beat in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add the egg, banana, oats, chips and walnuts.
- Spoon onto cookie sheets and bake for 10-13 minutes or until just getting golden brown. Then let cool on the sheet before removing.