Okay, so having a day-to-day cookie calender may not demonstrate “moderation” when satisfying your sweet tooth. But, then again, my sister and I have signed up for a 12-mile trail run in St. Louis this weekend. That, along with reading law books for hours on end, I have decided…that maybe moderation or “a little bit of something” sometimes just isn’t my style. :)
So having this calender, each day I can see new ideas and recipes to try… I rip off a page and keep them in a stack under the calender. There are all sorts of different recipes for berry meringues, shortbreads, biscotti and so many variations that I have never tried before.
But one of the first cookies it featured for January was the Double Chocolate Cookie…which is one of my favorites to make. I have featured many different variations of this type of cookie and I am always willing to try out a new one. So before I placed the page in my stack of ripped-off recipes, I decided to give it a try.
It called the cookie “triple chocolate" and used white chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips. As always, I loaded mine with even extra chocolate chips. A little tip: don't overbake or the cookie will harden a lot when it cools. It’s hard to tell when you have overbaked them since the dough is so dark, but try not to bake them over 13-14 minutes at 350 degrees and you should be fine.
Triple Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole-wheat flour, which creates a slightly denser cookie)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside
- Beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix until almost blended. Add the chocolate chisp and mix.
- Scoop dough onto baking sheet. Bake for about 12-14 minutre. Transfer to wire rack and cool.