dun dun dun …
If you buy way too many apples and eat way too many apples. Well, now it is time to bake with apples.
This is a recipe for apple cake.
It is kind of like a bread… but with apples.
Just whip it up in a bowl, pour in a pan, and bake. Once it is cooled, you cut it into squares.
And it makes your kitchen smell like fall.
Low-Fat Apple Cake
(This recipe is adapted from the Realistic Nutritionist)
For the cake:
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 medium apples, finely chopped and seeded
- 1 large organic egg
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup chopped almonds or walnuts (or both)
- ¼ cup organic applesauce
For the topping:
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
- ¼ cup oats (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat your baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix white sugar, apples, chopped nuts, egg and applesauce. Stir together with the flour mixture and pour into a square baking pan, or whatever pan you have.
- In a seperate skall bowl, mix brown sugar and white confectionars sugar together with a fork. I like adding oats to it.
- Sprinkle mixture over the apple cake and bake for 32-35 minutes or until cake is browned.