Energy Lifter -- Strawberry Sandwich
I was so happy to see this snack idea in Self Magazine…
Strawberries + Whole-Wheat Bread = Energy Lifter
The whole-wheat bread packs fatigue-battling iron. If you skimp on this mineral, your blood can’t carry energizing oxygen, making you want to nap constantly. And the vitamin C in the strawberries converts iron from insoluble to soluble, a form that blood cells take in more easily.
Okay, that sounds complicated. But basically this combo will give you energy.
Now… I take this idea one step further and create an open-faced masterpiece.
I use almond butter or natural peanut butter. Smuckers All-Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter is my favorite.
Of course, you could put another piece of toasted bread on top and you would have yourself the best pbj ever.
I blame my cravings for these pbj combinations on my half-marathon training this fall. But then again, I make this all-year round, so…
Almond Butter and Strawberry Open-Faced Sandwich
- Whole-wheat bread (I use Ezekiel Sprouted Grain bread), toasted
- Natural Almond Butter (or natural peanut butter)
- Strawberry Jam (choose a low-sugar brand)
- Sliced fresh strawberries
- Toast the bread. Spread thin layer of almond butter.
- Spread thin layer strawberry jam (or use an obnoxious amount like I do). Top with sliced strawberries.
- Enjoy :)
I just love this combo.
No wonder I never sleep…