avocado pound cake
Yep. I put avocado in a loaf pan and baked it.
And yep. It was awesome.
I smash the green stuff on toast daily.
Or make an avocado sandwich: toast Ezekiel bread and smother in avocado, whole grain spicy mustard, fresh basil, tomatoes/zucchini/spinach and cracked black pepper…the ultimate veg sandwich.
But, when I find out ways that you can bake with it… I am joining that team too.
This is another Joy the Baker inspired recipe that I cut out of a magazine last year, and I really haven’t stopped thinking about it since.
My taste can be crazy at times, but trust me…this is really good!
It is similar to a cornbread, in both taste and texture.
Avocados have a mild flavor, so it is some-what hidden in this bread. But, you can catch flecks of green throughout the loaf, as well as a cool green tint.
Cut slices and serve with a dollop of yogurt and honey.
Eaters will be intrigued.
Avocado Pound Cake
makes two 9x5 inch loaves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (I use gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup buttermilk or skim milk
- flesh of 1 ½ ripe avocados (about 1 cup to 1 and 1/2 cups of avocado, mashed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two loaf pans and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside. In a mixer, beat the butter until creamy and add the sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the yogurt.
- Add the avocado and beat another minute to incorporate. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure it is all mixed.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating 1 minute after the addition of each egg. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add half of the flour mixture, all of the milk, and the rest of the flour mixture. Beat just until combined.
- Divide the dough between the two loaf pans and place in the oven. Turn the oven down to 325 degrees F. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Keep checking them after the 30 minute mark.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store at room temperature. This also freezes very well.
All you avocado lovers out there…