When I think of breakfast growing up, I still picture all of us kids sitting around a big wooden table, passing syrup around as my mom put a platter of french toast or homemade pancakes in the middle of the table.
So, with my mom in mind, I'm sharing an easy method for french toast. Doctored up.
My mom made this recipe with thick Texas Toast, maple syrup and topped with powdered sugar.
But, you can use sprouted grain, whole wheat or gluten-free bread. You can sub alt-milk or skim milk. You can use egg whites instead of the whole egg.
This method is one to get creative with. I add cinnamon, sliced bananas and chopped pecans.
Cinnamon French Toast
- 4 slices whole wheat or sprouted grain bread
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 Tbsp milk
- few dashes cinnamon
- Toppings: fresh fruit, sliced bananas, pure maple syrup, powdered sugar
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and cinnamon until combined.
- Dredge the bread, one slice at a time, in the egg mixture until it's coated and soaked in. Lay the slices (however many fit) in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook until the bottom is golden brown. Flip it over to cook the other side. Depending on the heat level, it's only a few minutes per side.
- Top w ith sliced bananas, pecans & drizzle pure maple syrup, if desired.
Make these for your loved ones, just because.