Here is a green smoothie combo I am loving lately:
spinach + banana + strawberry + fresh ginger + spirulina + chia + kefir
I took a class the other day on fermentation. We learned how to make homemade kefir (fermented milk) and kombucha (fermented tea).
Fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, and kefir all do wonders to our brain and stomach.
I love using kefir in place of yogurt or milk in a smoothie. It has the taste and texture of drinkable yogurt.
Kefir is milk that has been fermented with kefir grains (bacteria and yeast). It has three times the amount of probiotics than yogurt plus the calcium bonus. Also, it is easier to digest if you have hard time digesting dairy.
I haven’t made homemade kefir (yet), so I buy it at the store. You can find it in the dairy section. It’s tangy like plain yogurt.
I’ve been using Kefir in this strawberry-banana smoothie recently.
This is super-packed with everything you need. Which makes it a great meal replacement.
strawberry-banana green smoothie
- 2 bananas
- 5-7 whole frozen strawberries
- ½ cup low-fat Kefir (or skim milk)
- ½ - 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 big handful fresh spinach
- ½ tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons spirulina powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- few dashes cinnamon (½ tsp)
- lemon juice (1 tsp)
- In a blender, blend all ingredients until very smooth. Pour into mason jars and enjoy or chill until ready to drink.
- Sprinkle with more chia seeds for a crunch.
I hope you all are jumping on the fermented bandwagon.
Your tummies will thank you. :)