Blending up almonds. There is just something awesome about watching them go from whole nuts, to a flour, and then to a paste. And all I have to do is push a button.
But, sometimes it takes forever.
Sometimes I break the lid on my food processor.
Sometimes I borrow my mom’s food processor, and then it goes up in smoke.
But I just give her a jar of this before I leave…
and I change her life.
Things are not always going to go perfectly. But it should always taste good.
Raw Almond Butter
- 2-3 cups raw, unroasted almonds, whole
- a few dashes of salt (optional)
- In a food processor, put the almonds and the salt and blend on high. This will take about 5-10 minutes. Scrap down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Basically just blend until the almonds become a paste. The longer you blend, the more oils will come out and it will become more butter-like. The length of time you blend it will depend on the size of your processor and how smooth you want the butter.
- Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator
TIPS: Ways to enjoy almond butter:
- Straight up plain on a spoon with a drizzle of honey
- Spread on a slice of toasted Ezekial bread with honey and cinnamon
- Use in place of peanut butter for a cool twist on a pbj
- Spread on toast and top with sliced bananas or sliced strawberries (or both)
- Panini: Spread on wheat bread, layer sliced pears, top with other slice and grill
- Enjoy with sliced apples sprinkled with cinnamon
- Put in a smoothie: blend spinach, greek yogurt, flaxseed, mixed frozen berries, and 1 teaspoon of almond butter