Recently my friend Tess made cookies from a box of devil’s food cake mix and then mixed in pieces of Reese’s peanut butter cups. It was a wonderful thing…and it inspired these cookies.
Bakers inspire bakers. It’s what makes the world go round.
I took one of my favorite double chocolate cookie recipes and loaded with pieces of Reese’s and chocolate chips.
Today’s trick: Making desserts semi-healthy and still delish.
I’m an avid health freak when it comes to food and turn my nose up to anything greasy, buttery, processed, or fried. Just not my thing. I eat it whole and from the ground, not the factory. But when it comes to sweets, my sweet tooth is out of controooool.
But, you can make a very decadent dessert at least seem healthy. If you are going to load em’ up with chocolate like I do, just make adjustments in the other ingredients such as using whole-wheat flour.
Point proven right here. I did not use butter in these cookies and instead I used unsweetened applesauce. You cannot tell the difference at all!
It’s a no brainer here people… swap out the “bad fats” …to make more room for more chocolate.
Double Chocolate Cookies with Peanut Butter Cups
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (or ½ stick unsalted butter)
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, broken in pieces (use as many as desired)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt) and set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together the applesauce with the sugars, vanilla, and egg.
-Combine the dry ingredients in the large bowl. Add the broken up Reese’s and the chocolate chips.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes (rotating sheets halfway through baking). Let cool on the sheets.
Eat. me. now.