I kind of love making little no-bake energy bites.
I also kind of love the 5-hour energy commercial. Where the guy runs 10 miles while knitting a sweater. So weird. So awesome. Makes me want to try it…(half) kidding.
But, besides Lara Bars (try the coconut cream pie flavor and it will blow your mind), I usually stay away from most energy or meal bars/drinks. They are loaded with weird ingredients that you can’t find in your own pantry.
But this homemade version uses few ingredients and tastes even better.
These are gluten-free and you can add a protein-boost by adding whey protein powder. But you don’t have to add the protein powder.
You can also use unsweetend shredded coconut. But, I like to use sweetened coconut and then I just add less honey.
The recipe is based off peppermint patty protein bites from Women’s Running Magazine.
If you love coconut and chocolate and peanut butter…then these are created just for you. And we should probably be friends.
Peppermint Chocolate Protein Bites
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter, smooth
- 1 cup whole rolled oats, gluten-free
- ¾ cup slivered or chopped raw almonds
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup Special Dark cocoa powder
- ¼ - 1/3 cup agave nectar or honey
- 2 tablespoons whey protein powder, unflavored(optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine the peanut butter, almonds, oats and coconut in food processor and pulse until all ingredients finely chopped up.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and mix until well combined. The mixture should be sticky. If it is too dry, add more honey or peanut butter.
- Roll the mixture into small balls using a cookie scoop or tablespoon. Store in the refrigerator. You can store them up to two weeks. It will make around 25 balls.
They taste like a chocolate mint cookie or almond joy. But these are much better for you.
Win and win.
You could also omit the peppermint extract and it would be a pb-chocolate little bite.
So just pop one in, pronto!