Another Place for Pumpkin
After making pumpkin bread in an earlier post, I was inspired to try out more pumpkin recipes.
Well, cookies naturally come to my mind. When I think about pumpkin cookies I think about my friend’s pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting. The recipe I used is another take on a pumpkin cookie. These are loaded with chocolate, cherries, and oats.
These cookies are the flavors of fall in your mouth. Perfect for the Thanksgiving holiday…and a lot easier to eat than a slice of pie :)
The recipe I used called for white chocolate chips, but I used bittersweet instead because that was all I had on hand.
Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (I used bittersweet, but any kind of chocolate chips would work)
- 1 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- ½ cup chopped nuts, such as walnuts (optional)
- Preheat over 350 degrees
- Combine flours, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, spice and salt in medium bowl
- Beat butter and sugars in large bowl until fluffy
- Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla to butter mixture. Mix well. Add flour mixture and combine until incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips and cherries
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. cool on sheets for 2 minutes and then cool on wire racks completely
**Get creative and experiment with the mix-in’s by adding dark chocolate, nuts, different types of dried fruits or raisins. which ever combinations you like!