I've never been a big drinker, and right now I can't even drink... but for some reason all I want is to sit outside at a local restaurant and sip a fruity and bubbly cocktail!
Maybe it's the thought of knowing I can't have something, and it makes me want it even more. I don't know. But what I do know is that mocktails are just as amazing, if not better than alcoholic cocktails. So I've been having my fair share of them lately!
Strawberry and basil are one of my favorite combinations, so a sparkling drink muddled with both sounded just about right. Especially since strawberries are in season now. I've been buying them by the cartons!
This drink is refreshing and so good, I crave it. Because it's been so hot lately. And sticky. And uncomfortable. But this drink makes things feel a bit better!
(make 1 drink)
- 2 large fresh strawberries, stemmed and chopped (or 3 smaller strawberries)
- 1 fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon raw honey, to taste
- juice of 1 fresh lime (lemon will also work!)
- sparkling water
- In a cocktail shaker or mixing glass. muddle the strawberries, basil, and lime juice until the strawberries are well smashed. Add the honey and shake vigorously to combine.
- Fill a glass with ice cubes and strain the strawberry mixture over the ice cubes. (It may be thick and hard to strain, that's why you want to muddle it very well!)
- Fill the glass up with sparkling water. Garnish if desired with a small basil leaf and a strawberry.
- If you taste the drink and you want it sweeter, drizzle in more honey to taste.