A few weeks ago, Chad and I picked blackberries at Eckert's Farm near St. Louis.
If you haven't picked a blackberry straight off the bush when it's warm from the summer sun, you are missing out. There is nothing quite like it!
We picked (and ate) a loooot, like whoah. So, I froze half and I've been enjoying blackberry everything every day.
This shake (err, rather a smoothie bowl) is a bit more special - it's my pre-workout smoothie to keep you going all morning. I made this before a Bootcamp last weekend. It sustained me with just enough energy to get through Insanity, yoga and lots of walking...
So, you could say that I highly recommend this one before an active day!
Blackberry Breakfast Shake
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (or almond milk)
- 1 banana
- 1/4 avocado
- about 1 cup blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 12 almonds (or 1 Tbsp. almond butter)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup ice cubes, optional
- In a blender, blend all of the ingredients until completely blended and smooth.
- Serve in bowl or jar and eat with a spoon.
- NOTE: This makes 1 serving on its own. If you eat it with your breakfast, you can enjoy a smaller serving and it will serve 2. I would add 1 cup of coconut milk if you are serving two. Then, add more milk, if desired.
If you use frozen blackberries, the shake is so cold and thick it's like soft-serve ice cream!
Nothing beats that on a hot summer morning!...