Well, it's dreary and cold and we are on the brink of winter. My body just feels it coming!...
It's about this time of year that I begin to crave chai and all those spices...
But, it's not just for your cup of tea.
Smash it up and mix it into these muffins!
Chai Tea Muffins
(makes about 1 dozen)
- 1 Tablespoon loose leaf chai tea, crushed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons walnuts or pecans, chopped (for topping)
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the coconut oil with the chai tea for a few minutes, to infuse the flavor.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars with the egg, until combined. Stir in the pumpkin puree. Then, add in the chai and coconut oil mixture and stir until combined. Stir in the flour and remaining ingredients, except the walnuts.
3. With an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into muffin tins and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts or pecans and a sprinkle of brown sugar.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, rotating muffin tins halfway through baking.
These freeze perfectly for up to a month, so you can heat up and enjoy as you wish.