Today's post is about giving ourselves a break and making life a little easier. And it involves chocolate, which is always a plus.
My daughter turned 7 months. SEVEN MONTHS. I cannot believe it, she isn't a little newborn anymore! It was around the 6-month mark that life got a bit harder. Not with Dylan, she is the sweetest. But everything else. Suddenly we don't have a newborn anymore to fall back on when we want an excuse to take things easy. Work got more busy and demanding. Life starting picking back up and I felt I had to keep up. Dylan also began eating solids. This coincided with her sleeping better, but also resulted in my milk supply taking an unexpected dip. As I sat on my kitchen floor at 2 a.m. pumping because Dylan was sleeping and I needed more for the next day's bottles, I thought about something my mom friend told me she wished she would have done during this time. She wished she would have given herself more grace. Being easier on herself. Aren't we all doing the best we can? If we are doing the best we can, there is nothing we can be disappointed about.
And you know what? Life lately has been calming back down and everything is going to be a-okay.
Wanna know what helps make life a bit easier? Easy desserts... involving chocolate. This recipe came about when I wanted something sweet, but had no time to bake. Enter: chocolate bark. You essentially just melt chocolate and peanut butter together and spread it on a pan and there you have it - a chocolate dessert. This is inspired by the good ol' peanut butter cup because that's all I have been craving lately. I used chunky peanut butter for a little crunch!
So, let's all get ourselves a break, okay? We are working our butts off and deserve a pat on our backs. As well as a chocolate dessert that looks fancy but we secretly know it took about 5 minutes and very little effort... ;) Happy Saturday!!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bark
- 1 cup dark chocolate (semi-sweet will work too)
- 1/4 cup chunky natural peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- sea salt flakes for garnish
- In a bowl place the chocolate and peanut butter and coconut oil and melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each. Do this until it is almost all melted, then stir until it is completely melted.
- Spread on parchment paper and sprinkle with flaked sea salt. Place in the refrigerator until hardened, or freeze. Break up into pieces.
- This bark is best kept chilled in the refrigerator.