When our lives are already packed with to-do lists, work, exercising, socializing, hobbies... it's relaxing to know that what you eat can be very, very simple to prepare. I'm talking pure, real food.
I'm talking no-bake fruit & nut bars.
Chad and I came to the conclusion that we are blueberry people. The Blueberry Muffin LARABAR might be one of his favorites. And I'll take any excuse to buy dried blueberries and make my own homemade version. Because then I get to throw the extra dried blueberries together with roasted nuts or top spinach salads at dinner. Or eat them plain, my favorite way. :)
These are sweet without the sugar and super chewy. Cut them into squares for that perfect bite of a blueberry muffin meats granola bar.
To make sure these are sugar-free, I buy unsweetened blueberries - but these may be hard to find! I like the Eden brand.
Blueberry Muffin Squares
- 10 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup almonds (or cashews)
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- juice from 1/2 lemon or its lemon zest
- pinch of sea salt
- In a food processor, place all of the ingredients. Process until finely ground and sticking together.
- Line a small baking pan with aluminum or parchment paper. Spray with coconut oil spray.
- Press the mixture into the pan and smooth out the top with a spatula or with your hands. If the bars don't fill the pan you are using, just push them to one side.
- Freeze the bars until firm, about 30 minutes. Then, cut into squares or bars. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or refrigerator.
Remember - real food tastes reeeeal good!