I don't know about you, but I'm ready for the weekend already! So. Close.
To help get me (us) there, I have these fig-walnut squares. It's like a homemade snack bar or trail mix... without the added grains, oils, sugars and who-the-heck-knows what else.
As you can probably tell from my blog, I looove making homemade fruit & nuts bars. They are great to eat with an afternoon apple. Or sometimes I'll have one or two after post-work yoga to tide me over until dinner. Think raw nuts or trail mix... but in bar form. Naturally sugar-free while packing an energy punch.
Once you have the ingredients, you just blend it all in a food processor and press into a pan. Literally, it take minutes to make!
I like to switch up the nuts and dried fruits that I use. Here, I used walnuts and dried figs, which creates a nuttier, slightly savory flavor with a hint of spice that's perfect for fall. Just be sure to use raw nuts and unsweetened dried fruit!
Raw Fig-Walnut Snack Squares
- 1 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup unsweetened dried figs (I use black mission figs)
- 4 large dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of fine sea salt
- Topping: extra unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- In a large food processor, process all of the ingredients (except the extra coconut for topping) until the mixture is beginning to stick together and small pieces remain.
- Line a square 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. Press the mixture into the pan and smooth out the top. (If the mixture doesn't take up the whole pan, just press the mixture to one side, no worries!) Then, press the extra coconut onto the top of the bar mixture and press down so it sticks.
- Freeze for about 30 minutes or until firm. Lift the parchment paper up out of the pan. Cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week or so.
- FIG BALLS: Instead of pressing into a pan, just roll the mixture into balls and roll in the excess coconut. You'll have the perfect energy bites!
Hope you all have a great rest of the week. And happy healthy snacking!