As I have said before, dried cherries and chocolate is a great combination. Dried cherries are chewy with a hint of sweetness and a bit tart. I think they make a surprising and special addition to a cookie.
I have featured my double chocolate cherry cookie recipe earlier in my blog. But this is another twist using whole wheat flour, dried cherries and chopped chocolate.
The inspiration: It was a page at the back of Martha Stewart Living Magazine’s February issue that caught my eye. It was “chewy chocolate-chunk cherry cookies." I kept going back to it…so I just had to finally give it a try.
I put my own twist on the recipe by using whole wheat flour and a mix of dark chocolate and bittersweet chocolate chopped instead of semi-sweet. I used whole-wheat flour which created a darker cookie, but they were still so soft and chewy! Using more brown sugar than sugar creates a flatter cookie. But when put in an air-tight container, they are still just as soft the next day.
You can stack them up between parchment paper and they make for a sweet treat to give to others. :)
Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cherry Cookies
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour (I used 2 cups of wheat flour and 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces (2 ½ cups) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used a mix of dark chocolate and bittersweet chocolate)
- 8 ounces dried cherries (1 ½ cups)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, then flour mixture. Beat in chocolate and cherries. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Roll dough into 1 ¾-inch balls (about 3 tablespoons each), and arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 3 inches apart. Bake until edges are golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets set on wire racks for 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks; let cool completely.