This past month I did a week-long juice cleanse offered at a little vegan café down the street from me.
I walked down to pick up the fresh juices and smoothies and embarked on a week of no caffeine or other food. The drinks were made fresh and came in these great large mason jars (I may do the cleanse again soon just so I can get more of these jars!).
I did this cleanse for a variety of reasons. One being that my sweet tooth needed a break, I could just feel it. Even though I eat a plant & nut-based diet and I exercise regularly (and probably excessively), I eat sweets and drink black coffee like it’s my job. It was time to slow things down.
Well I’m not going to lie, I had a massive caffeine headache around 3 p.m. for the first two days of the cleanse. Like most restrictive eating plans, the first day was pretty rough, but it only got better. Once my body adapted to the change, I really noticed the difference and it became easier. And by the end, I felt so much better (but, really wanted to cook a meal).
Since I drink green smoothies almost daily, I was excited to re-create some of the smoothies from the cleanse.
One was called the “Green Machine” and it was to be eaten for lunch or dinner. It was made up of spinach, kale, coconut water, spirulina, and banana.
So, here is my version of the “green machine.” I have made it pretty regularly since the cleanse. I don’t have spirulina powder, so I use chia seeds.
This is light and refreshing, but still filling enough for a quick meal. It’s great for that busy lifestyle we all seem to live.
Make this ahead of time and you will find that clean eating just got a lot simpler.
Green Machine Smoothie:
- ½ - 1 cup coconut water
- 1 big handful baby spinach
- 1 big handful baby kale (the taste is milder and texture is smoother than regular kale, which I find works best in this drink)
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or flaxseeds
- cold water or ice, optional
- optional add-ins: cinnamon, fresh parsley, fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- In a blender, blend spinach and kale with coconut water and chia seeds. Blend until totally blended. Add in the banana and optional add-ins (parsley, lemon juice or cinnamon) and blend for a minute or two.
- Enjoy right away or chill until ready to eat.
- I make this the night before and shake it up the next day and drink it for a quick breakfast or lunch.
MY TIP: You can add some pineapple, apple, or pear to make this even more filling.
When winter just doesn’t seem to want to leave…
This drink at least brings something green to your day.