decorated cut-out sugar cookies
It’s turkey day, so why not decorate some sugar cookies? Turkey-style.
This is my favorite cut-out sugar cookie recipe.
I make these cookies for pretty much every holiday. From this dough, I cut out Easter eggs, Christmas trees, pumpkins, and today…
Classic Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Icing, to decorate (see recipe below)
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. With the mixer running, add the egg, milk and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Transfer dough on a surface and shape into two discs. Wrap the discs in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to desired thickness (usually about 1/8 inch thick). Cut out into desired shapes.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Do not brown the cookies or they will be overbaked.
- Cool on wire racks and decorate when completely cooled.
Sugar Cookie Icing
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup shortening (crisco)
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- food coloring (optional)
- In a mixer, cream sugar with shortening together.
- Slowly add in the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add the rest of the ingredients and whip until very smooth and stiffened.
- Separate the icing into bowls and color with desired food coloring. Place a scoop of icing in a Zip-lock bag and push the icing to one corner of the bag and snip off the end. Pipe the icing one the cookie.