There is someting magic about it. I don’t know what it is. It’s just so simple and doesn’t even require an oven. The combination of the very few ingredients just works. EVERY TIME.
It’s Puppy Chow. Enough said.
Growing up, it was always such a special treat for some reason. When people had it, eyes would light up. And I would love to help make it. It has been many years since I would help my mom shake the mix up in a paper bag — inside it was coating the chex with the powered sugar. Then we would pour the results out on parchment paper to cool.
We used to crowd around the kitchen table when my mom poured it out to cool and grab the chunks that were all stuck together. Okay, okay… maybe it was just me around that table… but still! You would be there with me I’m sure. I think this was about the time I lost control with my sweet-tooth. And I haven’t really found it since. I’m all about the healthy, fresh eating along with decadent desserts. It creates a balance in the end. :)
The classic “Muddy Buddies" is on the back of the Rice Chex cereal box. Or you can use Crispix cereal. But you know me, I always create my own twists and recipes. I have done many variations that you may want to try!
#1: Go DARK: Use dark chocolate instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips. It’s delish.
#2: All PB. Make the puppy chow with just the peanut butter (or you can sub in peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips). Add actual peanuts to the mix when you coat with the powdered sugar, if you are feeling extra nutty.
#3: Butterscotch: This one is one of my favorite variations. Instead of the chocolate chips, substitute for butterscotch chips. It’s a good surprise to those that are expecting the usual puppy chow. This is one of my favorite switch-ups.
#4: Try more than one variation! Just separate the bags and make half of the recipe using one kind of chocoalte and the other half using the other.
Below is the classic puppy chow recipe…if you don’t want to make the whole batch, you can just cut the ingredients down and make smaller and even individual-sized portions.
Classic Puppy Chow
- 9 cups Corn Chex, Rice Chex, Wheat Chex, Chocolate Chex or a combination of them. (I use Rice and wheat chex)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic or paper bag.- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container.