If banana bread were a person… this would be their cool, hip friend.
You know, the one who doesn’t follow the crowd.
But whatever they are doing just works.
This spin on banana bread is out of a cookbook I recently bought called Straight From Earth. Filled with vegan recipes that use fresh & whole foods.
When I came across this banana bread in the book, and had to try it out.
As a banana bread should be, this one is loaded with ingredients that are very good for you.
I love the orange zest and macadamia nuts. Unexpected additions that turn this ordinary muffin into a sweet & nutritious treat.
I like to bake these in muffin tins for easy single servings.
banana bread with macadamia nuts & bittersweet chocolate
recipe from the cookbook "Straight From The Earth"
- 3 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. very hot water
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 ½ cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3-4 medium)
- 1 large orange, zested
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped good-quality bittersweet chocolate (above 60%)
- Preheat oven 325 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flaxseed with hot water. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until it thickens. this is the egg replacement.
- Add the sugar and oil to the flaxseed mix and whisk vigorously to combine. Whisk in the bananas and orange zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring until just combined. fold in the nuts and chocolate, and transfer the batter to desired pan, sprayed with cooking spray (12 regular muffin tins or 2 medium 8" loaf pans).
- Top the batter with sliced bananas, if desired.
- Bake until bread is golden brown and firm on top, about 40-45 minutes. 50 minutes if you are using a larger pan, and 40 or less if using muffin tins.
- Cool the bread in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then turn out to finish cooling. Store at room temperature wrapped in plastic wrap for 3 -4 days. Or, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Will keep 3 months in the freezer.
Load these with the best bittersweet chocolate out there.
Definitely worth it.