Hello! Another grain-free energy bite recipe for you. I usually whip up some type of date & nut bite on Sunday for the week ahead, so I'm always looking for new combinations and flavors to switch things up week after week. But, I still try to use the staple ingredients I have on hand.
If you want to start making your own snack bites (think, LARABAR rolled up into a ball), then I recommend always have the following items on hand:
- Whole dates
- Raw or roasted nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts will work pretty interchangeably)
- Cocoa powder or cacao powder (along with the dates, adding cocoa powder makes a rich chocolate ball without any added sugar!)
- Nut butters (I prefer using cashew butter and almond butter)
- Coconut oil (helps a dry mixture loosen in the food processor)
- Optional protein powders (I prefer Vital Proteins) to add some ummph to the bite
- Dried fruits (cranberries, cherries, blueberries, etc - these are optional ingredients but help switch up the flavor)
If you have dates and nuts, you have the base to make an energy bite. Then, the rest of the ingredients above are just for added bonus if you want to switch up the flavors.
This week I'm doing a dried cherry + chocolate combo. I bought a bag of the Eden brand dried cherries with no added sugar. Once you have the ingredients on hand, pulsing the mixture and rolling into balls takes no time at all! And now you have snacks for the week.
Chocolate Cherry Raw Snack Bites
- 8 large dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cherries
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 Tbsp. cashew butter
- 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. cacao or cocoa powder (add 1 Tbsp more for richer chocolate flavor)
- Soak dates in hot water to soften for 10 minutes. Drain add the dates to the food processor and process until ground to small pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and process to desired consistency. It should be very finely ground and stick together.
- Scoop out the mixture and roll into balls. Store in the refrigerator for the week in an airtight container.