There is a week until Christmas and I can’t believe it. How is it that time goes by so fast!? I’m already going to miss the trees, lights, Christmas music and just all around joyfulness and the holiday isn’t even over yet!
Okay, okay. We have a whole week to bake all the holiday cookies our hearts desire.
Today - it’s a hot chocolate cookie. Which is basically a super chewy double dark chocolate chunk cookie that uses hot chocolate mix instead of the cocoa powder. This recipe came about because I had a jar of hot chocolate mix I wanted to do more with than just mix into warmed milk. And mixing it into a cookie batter sounded like a perfect idea!
AND this can be made in one bowl (no mixer required)... which means less dishes! I melted the butter for easy mixing. It’s actually because when I made this recipe, my husband was making dinner so I didn’t want to cramp his space by using the mixer at the kitchen counter. So I melted the butter and easily mixed up these cookies at our kitchen table.
I packaged these up and gave them as treats to a few family and friends this weekend. Hot chocolate cookies just sound comforting. And these would probably be amazing to dunk into a cup of hot chocolate in front of a fire. Hmm I’m currently sitting in front of our fire so I’ll actually be right back... ;)
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dark chocolate chunks (I did a mix of semi sweet and dark chocolate - milk chocolate would also work!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk the melted butter with brown sugar until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in the hot cocoa, salt, baking soda and flour until combined. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Place tablespoon sized dough balls on a baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes. Take out and let cool slightly before removing to wire rack.
- OPTIONAL - mix 1 cup of mini marshmallows into the batter before baking to enhance the hot chocolate theme.