Ahhh August. How did you come so fast!?
I could've sworn I just saw spring flowers.
But believe it or not, we are in the heat of summer. And proof is in the basil plant. If you have one, it's likely growing and growing and growing.
So, pluck a few leaves and whip up this drink.
I call it a "refresher" because it's similar to a smoothie, but the coconut water creates a lightness that makes it feel as if your sipping a juice.
The blackberries and fresh basil create the perfect fresh balance of summer sweetness. I add some powerhouse walnuts and spinach - to sneak in even more greens to my day. Then, there is my secret ingredient, bee pollen - a.k.a. nature's multi-vitamin - which adds vitamins, minerals, amino acids...
Long story short... this is a refreshing boost to your breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. Drink it any time of the day, most days!
- 1 heaping cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (about 1 handful)
- 1 cup spinach (about 1 large handful)
- 10 raw walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons bee pollen
- 2 cups coconut water
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until very, very smooth. TIP: If your banana is frozen, it's easiest to chop it into chunks before you add it to the blender.
- Pour into glasses, top with more bee pollen and chopped basil, if desired.
Cheers to my favorite month! :)