When I think of a quick sandwich to make for someone - young or old- I think of a pbj. But not your average pbj. One that is filling enough to stand as a quick meal, without those added sugars that were hidden in your childhood peanut butter and jelly.
We are talking homemade jam, natural peanut butter, roasted peanuts, cinnamon & bananas.
The Ultimate Peanut Butter & Jam Sandwich
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter)
- 1/2 small banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon homemade blackberry jam (or a natural low-sugar/no-sugar jam)
- Cinnamon, a few dashes
- 1 tablespoon dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- Toast the bread (in the oven; in the toaster; or on the stove in a cast iron until toasty)
- Spread the jam on one slice and top it with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Spread the peanut butter on the other slice and sprinkle with cinnamon. Then, top that slice with the chopped peanuts.
- Make a sandwich with the two slices. If you are packing it, wrap it in aluminum foil or plastic wra p to keep it together and then place in a plastic sandwich bag.
There was was a time in my life when I made this pbj multiple times a week, often open-faced...
It's a pbj method I recommend you keep on hand. :)