Sharing another weekend cookie that is perfect for a summer party or cookout.
The idea of adding fresh lemon to a cookie has been on my mind recently. Especially during these summer months, when lemons seem to wake just about any dish up - savory or sweet.
I took a chewy sugar cookie base and added the juice and zest of one large lemon. The result is a super chewy cookie with a sweet & tart flavor that sets it apart from your average sugar cookie.
These are great all on their own. But, the lemony flavor lends itself well with strawberries, or sandwich a scoop of frozen yogurt between two of these.
Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- The zest and the juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup white sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixer, beat together butter and sugar until creamy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- To the sugar mixture, add the lemon zest, egg, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Mix until combined. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- With a cookie scoop or tablespoon, roll rounded tablespoons of dough into balls and then roll in the 1/2 cup sugar.
- Place on baking sheets and bake for about 10 minutes. rotating sheets halfway through baking. Take out when the edges are just beginning to turn slightly brown. Let cool on the cookie sheets for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
These are chewy, buttery, sweet, decadent, refreshing... all at the same time. Make them and you'll catch my drift!