Need a last minute gift idea?
Just grab some cashews and roast these addicting cinnamon-sugar coated nuts.
On a daily basis, I've cut sugar entirely from my diet for several health reasons. But, around the Christmas season, these candied cashews always become an exception and a treat. I give them as gifts, mail a bag to friends, bring some home to my family and I currently have a jar of them sitting on my counter.
Your guests will love them, your significant other will love them, your co-workers will love them... and you will too!
- 3 cups raw, unsalted whole cashews (a little over 1 pound)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (omit if cashews are already salted)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites and the vanilla together with a whisk, until frothy. About 30-60 seconds. Toss in the cashews to coat.
- In a large, gallon-sized Ziploc bag, add the sugar, salt and cinnamon. Shake it all together to combine.
- Pour the covered nuts into the bag and seal. Toss/shake the mixture in the bag to coat all the nuts. It will be moist and the sugar will look dissolved.
- Once completely coated, spread out the sugared nuts on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 275 degrees for about an hour. Toss the cashews every 15 minutes.
- Take out and let cool on the sheet pan. Then, break up and store in an air-tight container or mason jar.
Added bonus - your kitchen will smell amazing. :)