You are constantly hearing it as the leaves begin to change and you will hear it again from me: It's apple season!...
I eat an apple every afternoon around 2:30 p.m., it's like clockwork - no thinking necessary. But it's funny, because I actually don't eat apples any other time of the day.
Yeah, about this granola... It's a special one.
This granola has no oats in it. In fact, it is totally grain-free. And it's basically sugar-free, with just a touch of maple syrup to add flavor. The dates add that sweet touch to the clusters of chopped nuts.
Once you do a grain-free granola, you'll be hooked. And this one is perfect for fall and a great recipe to start you out.
Use it to top your morning yogurt like my fiancé does. Or, eat it straight up like I do, as an afternoon snack or after-dinner treat.
Grain-Free Apple Pie Granola
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds (optional)
- 6-7 large Medjool dates, chopped
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins or golden raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apples (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add nuts, dates, and unsweetened shredded coconut and pulse to slightly chop the nuts. Add the spices and salt and pulse again to evenly distribute.
- In a bowl, whisk together the apple sauce, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Pour the nut mixture from the food processor into the bowl with the wet mixture and mix to combine and completely coat the nuts.
- Evenly distribute granola (using fingers) on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden. Stop to stir ingredients halfway through the baking, to allow the granola to cook evenly.
- Once it's golden brown, take out of oven and quickly stir in the raisins and chopped apples. Then let cool on the sheet. The granola will harden up once it is cooled completely. Break up and store in a large jar at room temperature. You can also freeze this granola.
Oh, and BTW... Happy National Apple Day!